Moored Acoustic Reference System
The purpose of the SeaLandAire Moored Acoustic Reference System (MARS) is to monitor ambient noise and subsurface acoustic communication signals (underwater sounds). It consists of a modified sonobuoy transmitter and hydrophone mounted to a ridged foam float. Replaceable modules contain rechargeable batteries, surface electronics, RF antenna for signal transmission to a shore station, and navigation light.
In operation, MARS is secured to the ocean bottom by a Danforth style anchor in 30 feet of water and a hydrophone is suspended off the bottom. The system includes a battery charger, RF receiver and antenna for the shore station. The system is sized and designed for hand deployment and recovery from a small boat. The anchor and chain are designed to allow the buoy to hold its position during tidal changes and 2 knot currents.
MARS provides quick turn and low cost design due to features including:
- Pre-formed float blank that allows customization
- Off the Shelf Sonobuoy hardware that can easily be modified to provide premium performance at minimal cost
- Off the Shelf mechanical hardware
- Modular battery pack that allows use of alternative chemistry batteries as required
- Modular construction
- Customizable data acquisition platform
- Low system noise